A bit of retail therapy at the Malvern Quilt show

Well it has been a busy time since I got back from Nepal, with shows, magazine deadlines and a whistle-stop tour of Rome with my Dad. I got back on Friday, with a show on Saturday and Sunday was a day off (at last). So what did I do? I dragged a compliant Paul halfway across the country to a quilt show. Of course I did!

So a bit of retail therapy was the order of the day. I spend so much time creating samples for others that it is nice to simply get something gorgeous for me. Goodness knows when I will get around to making them - Paul was horrified when I went to about 4 different stands and said "yes, I have that but haven't made it yet!". I explained UFOs and PHDs and left it at that :)

So what did I buy?
Well my first stop is always to the stand of Kim Porter of Worn and Washed. I adore the feel of her pre-loved fabric, and she has moved into Liberty fabrics now too. So I treated myself to a Liberty cushion kit which will eventually make it's way into my Summerhouse. It's just gorgeous.

Then I brought a pattern by the phenomenal Maggie Davies - the queen of Applique! This is all hand appliqued and is another one for the holiday pile - or the 'soon to retire' pile. I love the delicate florals and the scrolls so it just had to find it's way into my basket!

Finally my love of Japanese fabrics forced to me get the "Takara" style patchwork and applique cushion kit from Euro Japan Links. Every time I see their stand one of their kits makes it into my shopping bag - and this one is just champion! I am going to hand quilt the finished cushion with the Sashiko thread once it is all sewn together. Sashiko is a decorative reinforment stitch from Japan that is simple but beautifully effective. If you haven't discovered it yet, take a look at the work of Susan Briscoe for inspiration.


So with my purchase clutched in my happy little hands I headed over to look at the quilts. The quilt entries were  beautiful, and well worth a browse through. A highlight was the quilt by my friend Moira Neal who just takes free motion embroidery to another level!


 It was tricky to get close to it with the throng of admirers gathered around it.


She won first prize, the fabric painting award AND won the overall championship too! Well done and well deserved!


This one was called "All Things Bright and Beautiful" and won a plethora of awards, including the rosette for Best Hand Appliqued quilt. Well Deserved I think. I didn't have a show guide so I am afraid I don't know who it was by, but I loved it! And the work that went into it is just mind boggling!
So a day looking at quilts - with a 4 1/2 hour round trip by car. Probably my favourite way to spend a Sunday!

2 comments

  1. brilliant, what a way to spend time xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a fun day, thanks for sharing the photos, I used to go every year but had to go to London from Leeds on mega bus stay with a friend who drove to Malvern, back to London then a coach home the next day, too much for me now I am ancient! but will be at FOQ

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to let me know what you think!