So what is Bobbinfill anyway?

So every time I mention using Bobbinfil on one of my shows I am inundated with questions about it. So I have decided to answer them here.


What is Bobbinfil? 
It is a remarkably fine and strong polyester designed as an underthread (meaning it goes in the bobbin). Some brands are also called Underthread or Bottomline.

Why do you use it?
Bobbinfil is designed to balance top threads being sewn. It is finer than a standard thread so you can get more of it on a bobbin, meaning that you have to refill your bobbin less often. This is a godsend when you are working on large projects. The downside is that it often only comes in white or black,  though some brands have expanded their colour ranges.
Which weight should I use?
There are a number of different thread weights - some specifically designed for Embroidery Machines. I use 90wt (the non-shiny white thread on a blue spool) for my Brother Innovis 90E embroidery machine and 60wt (shiney thread on a white or grey spool) for all my sewing machines.

Where do you buy it?  
There are 3 main brands of Bobbinfil that I have bought in the past, and there are probably more that I haven't tried. All 3 have worked beautifully for me. They are Brother, Sulky and Madeira brands but there are others available. I buy them when I see them in my local sewing shops (as a former shop owner I fully appreciate the importance of local shops and the need to support them. If you don't use them you will lose them!). I have bought them on prewound bobbins or on the reel which is my personal preference.  You can also buy on line. Like most things, a quick Google will bring up a full list of suppliers but being lazy I often resort simply to Amazon.



12 comments

  1. Thank you Sarah for taking the time to share the info on bobbin fil

    ReplyDelete
  2. how strange i was only looking t bobbin fill last night but had no idea what the numbers meant. now i do. thank you Sarah. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sarah's. I use it after seeing you on CC a few months ago. I love it.
    Lasts for ages without having to rewind bobbin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sarah's. I use it after seeing you on CC a few months ago. I love it.
    Lasts for ages without having to rewind bobbin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favourite thing about it - I am just too lazy to rewind :)

      Delete
  5. thank you Sarah, I got some from Barnyarns at one of the shows after your recommendation, xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info. If you need to know something what do you do? .....Ask Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for info. I asked the other day at our local shop for bobbin thread and got a very strange look. Came up with a "German" thread??? So said I would do more research 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol-I have added some links to the original article to get them on Amazon. It is surprising how many people have never heard of it :)

      Delete
  8. I to asked at our local sewing shop, she looked extremely blank at me ! So after a good laugh I picked some up from a mill locally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol - not everyone knows about it. Now you have discovered the secret :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the information Sarah I bought a reel of white Bobbinfil a while ago but was not sure if I could use it for normal sewing I like to make bags etc or is it just for making quilts

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to let me know what you think!