National Quilt Exhibition

On Friday, my friend Vicky and I booked the day off, jumped into a car and headed to the NEC in Birmingham to visit the National Quilt Exhibition. As new converts to quilting, we were interested to have a look at the work on display and check out what was going on in the world of quilts. And boy were we impressed!! The work on display was amazing. Some of the quilts gave us confidence that we could produce something similar in quality, and then some were so out of this world that you felt you should throw your needles down this instance because you would never produce anything like it in your life. However, on the whole I came back inspired, and with a bag of sumptuous fabrics to start on my next project project which will be a wall hanging for the hallway of my new house.

I find that this is one of the problems with these shows. You begin to suffer from sensory overload by halfway through the afternoon because there is just too much to see. I swear that I was colour blind by 4.30pm!

Here are some of the highlights that I managed to get pics of! I loved this Scottie quilt - so much personality and humour:

This face was amazing - it must have taken some planning! I am not sure I would have had the patience:
I really liked some of the miniature quilts, and I will be saving ALL of my off cuts from now on - no matter how small!

This was one of my favourites from the show - simply because the colours were so vibrant and the piece i so 'mad'. It is similar in concept to a wall hanging that I am working on now (update to follow soon - I promise):
Just so wonderfully complex and well executed:
It was a great day and I came home buzzing with ideas and enthusiasm - so off to the sewing machine I shall go! See you at Christmas :)

1 comment

  1. Like you I really enjoyed the show and thought the quilts were fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to let me know what you think!