Peterborough Embroiderers Guild Exhibition

Well the guild exhibition is over this weekend so I thought I should get around to blogging about some of the pieces that I showed in my first ever exhibition!

Getting ready for this exhibition was a bit of a stress because I usually only have arbitrary deadlines (like a birthday) so getting 5 items finished at the same time was a bit of a stretch. Work interfered quite a lot - with whole weeks at a time spent in dark hotel rooms where the best I could do was a little light beading. However we got there in the end and I showed the following framed wall hangings:
  • Red
  • Green
  • Purple
  • Foam
  • And a necklace called Storm which is introduced in post What a weekend
The first 3 pieces were purposely single colour studies because I wanted to restrict my colour palette and focus on creating texture and movement instead.
Red

This piece uses paper and various threads to create texture. Machine embroidery created hollow 'tunnels' which I then (carefully) stuffed. These raised areas were then waxed an polished.

This is a closeup of Red. Polishing made the item look a bit gruesome and a number of people commented that it looked like veins!

I'll cover the other pieces in a later blog. I have been away all week and the old cupboards are bare. Now I don't expect to fade away in the next 2 hours but I am gagging for a cup of tea and the milk has gone lumpy... so see you soon.


2 comments

Feel free to let me know what you think!