Jewellery as gifts

I love to give pressies to those I love and jewellery is a perfect gift for those glamourous ladies in my life. So when preparing a birthday gift for my frend Sarah (otherwise refered to as Erms) I made straight for the bead box and dug out a delicious jade cabachon I had bought from Fire Mountain Gems last year.


I adore big cabachons and this one was crying out to be made into something for someone special! Erms is 'strawberry blonde' and therefore the deep green stone is absolutely perfect. This cabachon was the biggest I had worked with so far, and proved a challenge to set. I don't like to put my cabs on any kind of backing because I want to enjoy the back of the stone as well as the front. This can make it tough to bead the bigger cab because they are heavier and need to be beaded more tightly to avoid them 'dropping out' when being worn.


As this was going to be a 'statement piece' I wanted it to really stand out. I chose a peyote cord because it allowed me to continue the colour theme but without detracting from the cab. I also chose to add a double depth fringe around the bottom of the cab. This gave the cab a lovely flow and a depth that it would otherwise have lacked.

I think that the result is fab, and so does Erms. I hope she gets as much delight from wearing it as I did making it. I am already looking through my cab collection so I can repeat the design for myself!

No comments

Feel free to let me know what you think!