Launching my Block of the Month for 2021

So, first question - what is a Block of the Month (BOM)?

Well, it is a series of patterns launched every month that builds up over a period of time to make a quilt. These can be themed, or each month teaches a different technique. In that case, you get what is called a Sampler quilt at the end, because it has a sample of different blocks.

So what is my Block of the Month?

Well I get so many questions from people wanting to learn to make quilts, or just from people who want to work on a regular project that I decided to create one myself. So I have designed my own with 12 inch finished blocks. You will get the patterns for 20 blocks in total but that is so you can

What will it teach me?

Well I have included blocks for all levels, with a bit of piecing, some EPP (english paper piecing), some applique and a spot of FPP Foundation paper piecing too - just for good measure. I have designed this as a Quilt as You Go quilt - so as you make each block, you will quilt it and basically finish it until you put it all together at the end and ta-da - a quilt. QAYG means no stressing getting big quilts though a small domestic machine and gives you the chance to play with different quilting techniques as you work though the blocks. 

There are 20 blocks in total with 12 beginner friendly blocks plus 8 more challenging blocks which you may choose to use instead. If you want - you could make all 20 blocks. if you make the 3 x 4 quilt (the 12 basic blocks) your quilt will finish at 40 x 53 inches - but you can make it bigger by increasing the size of the sashing or adding borders. If you want to make all the blocks (4 x 5 blocks) it will be 53 x 66 inches. The choice is yours!

12 block layout

20 Block Option - all of the blocks included in the BOM

I will also include alternative layouts for you if you want to make multiples of any of the blocks - that is at least 20 bonus quilt layouts. 
Alternative layout for Dutchman's Puzzle block


How long will it take to get all the patterns delivered?

This will run for 10 months from January to October. Each month you will receive a full colour professionally printed pattern containing clear step by step instructions to complete at least 2 blocks (20 in total) and the final month (month 10 - October) will have the instructions for you to add sashing with or without cornerstones and how to put your quilt together and finish it. You will get tips for quilting your project and a number of different options for binding it. You don't have to do it all in a month, you can work at your own speed. There will be a facebook group for you to join so you can see everyone's progress and ask me for any help you may need too.

How much does it cost? 

Each pattern is professionally printed and costs £12 per month including first class postage. The patterns will be despatched 3rd Monday of each month.

How do I join up?

You can join here using Paypal. To subscribe you will need to have a paypal account and the subscription will be £12 per month (£120 in total). You can also choose to purchase the whole year in one go - and that will be £110 with a saving of £10. They will still be despatched each month but you will have the peace of mind knowing it is all paid for! There are also a limited number of kits available which will include the fabric for the blocks, the sashing and the binding. Wadding and backing can also be available through me so keep an eye out on my Facebook page for more details.

Can I join at a later date?

Yes you can - if you sign up after the January patterns have been sent out, you can choose to receive the patterns you have missed and sign up for the rest of the year.

Is it for beginners or the more experienced quilter?

It is suitable for anyone. I have added some more complex blocks that you can substitute if you like, or you can work your way up to them if you are a beginner. 

How much fabric will I need?

Well that depends on exactly which blocks you choose and how many blocks you want to make. For 12 blocks you should allow 10 fat 1/4s and 2m of the background and binding fabric (in this sample that is the black).  I am putting together a limited number of packs that will be available to purchase from me by mid January, or you can bash that stash and really play with your scraps.

Scrappy Version

You can purchase the subscription or pay in full on my website from 1st January 2021. I look forward to you joining us! If you have any questions, you can contact me though my facebook page.

 



No comments

Feel free to let me know what you think!