A completed UFO

We all have them in our drawers - unfinished objects that sit there staring at us accusingly until we settle down and complete. Well now that Christmas is out of the way and I am still on holiday I thought that I would have a go at getting some done.

This is a picture started at a machine embroidered textures course run by Gina Ferrari earlier in the year at Art & Stitch. We painted Bondaweb and Tyvek which was stitched, stretched and heat shrunk to within an inch of it's life. We then built the pieces up with some scruffy knitting, coloured paper (and anything else we could fine) and machine stitched them onto a background.

I have done some further stitching when I got home, and yesterday I got the bead soup out to add a bit of embellishment (there is always room for a few beads!) and I couched additional threads and wools to add interest.
Many of the others used this technique to make some very interesting landscapes using blues, greens and browns. I couldn't resist using rich and exuberant reds and purples instead - so mine could only be considered a landscape on an alien planet!

I am very pleased with the result and will find a nice spot to hang it. It is a technique that I will definitely use again - perhaps as a book cover next time - who knows. That is the joy of this hobby, I never know where the next project will take me!

4 comments

  1. Sarah, that is gorgeous! It's lovely to see something that was started in one of my classes and to see how brilliantly you've made it your own. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous the colours are wonderful. I bet you can't stop looking at it, it's so beautiful. Please bring it in and show us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see this finished Sarah. It looked wonderful at the workshop but it looks fantastic now it's finished and framed. You use colour beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to let me know what you think!